Malkerns Town Board mission is to provide quality urban and agro-business services through the use of cutting edge processes and technology, ensuring decent living conditions, development and sustained growth in partnership with stakeholders.
Public Works and Technical Services
The engineering and technical services department is responsible for the construction and maintenance of infrastructure within the Malkerns Urban Area. We are also responsible for building control to ensure compliance of all structures to statutes. Infrastructure that is presently managed by the department includes roads, public lighting systems, buildings, small bridges and sports grounds.
Deriving from section 55 of the Urban Government Act No.8 of 1969, there are specific duties and functions that our department is expected to discharge. These include:
- Maintaining and cleansing all public streets and opening spaces vested in the local authority or commuted to its management;
- Establishment or take over and maintain any public utility service which it is authorized or required to maintain under any law and which is required for the welfare, comfort or convenience of the public, all subject to availability of resources; and
- Development, control and management of any land vested in, owned or leased by the local authority.
Town Treasury Services
The primary mandate of the Treasury Department derives from the Urban Government Act No.8 of 1969, the Financial Regulations, the rating Act 1995, and late, the Public Finance Management Act of 2017. The department is responsible for planning, collecting, keeping, employing and accounting for revenues of the town in accordance the foregoing statutes.
Rates payment by approved instalment arrangement plan
The department is governed by the Urban Government Act 1969, Rating Act of 1995, Urban Government Financial Regulations 1969, the Public Procurement Act 2011, and the Board’s own Financial Policies and Procedures. The main areas of responsibility include the
- Procurement of goods and services in accordance to the various legislation governing public procurement
- Proper accounting for the services and goods in the Board’s financial management system
- Budgetary control of the Board’s annual estimates
- Safeguarding and maintenance of all Board’s assets.
- Submission of reports timeously; management reports, payment schedule to enable management and Board members to take informed decisions
- Consolidate tenders for annual sources of supplies for the Board
This is another method approved by the Board to pay rates. It can be paid monthly, quarterly, half yearly and or annually. The advantages of this method are:
- Balance due shall not attract interest the statutory 15% per annum which is charged for late payment.
- Fixed and agreed amount remain consistent throughout the financial year.
- It can be spread over the twelve months period of the financial year making it affordable to the rate payer.
Rates income & property valuation
The department is responsible for ensuring that all rates are billed correctly and sent to the correct ratepayers at the beginning of every financial year and if any ratepayers default the department is responsible for ensuring that they are followed up as per the dictates of the rating act of 1995.
- The Rating Act states that an independent valuer be approved by the Minister of Housing and Urban Development to evaluate the properties.
- Rates are charged based on the value of immovable property.
- A property owner may object against the value given to his property to the Valuation Court by filling in an objection Form as soon as they receive the valuation notice from The Board.
- The Valuation Court deals strictly with discrepancies in property values and not rates.
- Complaints pertaining to rates are attended to by the Board.
Differential rating Rates differ according to the following designations:
USER FEES INCOME
Collection of Town Board revenue
The department is also responsible for ensuring that all user fees are billed and paid on time, it is also responsible for ensuring all vendors and clients pay for services rendered.
- Cash – paid over the counter at the Town Board offices or direct deposit
- Cheque – paid over the counter at the Town Board offices or direct deposit
- Electronic bank transfer
- Stop order
- Mobile money
Board’s banking details
|Account Name:||Malkerns Town Board|
|Bank Name:||Standard Bank (Mbabane Branch)|
|Old Account Number:||0140063987901|
|New Account Number:||9110004054620|
|Reference:||CUSTOMER ACCOUNT NUMBER AS IT APPEARS ON INVOICE|
Public Health & Environmental Services
The mandate of the public health and environment department derives from many legislations, including the Urban Government Act of 1969, the Public Health Act of 1968, the Environment management Act of 2002, inter alia. the principal purpose of the department is to ensure safety of all food offered and consumed within the urban area, safety of all trade practices, and environmental health and sustainability in all operations and development programs within the jurisdiction of the local authority.
- Ensuring the promotion of a consistent high standard of public health and aethestics within the town.
- Inspection of premises for nuisance abatement.
- Providing and promoting safe and liveable conditions in business premises and practices.
- Ensures that public is protected from physical, chemical and biological hazards.
- Collection, management and appropriate disposal of all forms of wasted within town.
- protection of the natural environment.
Town Planning Services
The mandate of the town planning department derives principally from the Town Planning Act of 1961. It aims at achieving a planned, coordinated and harmonious development of the town, promoting health, safety, good order. These ideals are achieved mainly through a universal planning tool known as the Town Planning Scheme. The too prefers land uses for particular land parcels to achieve synergy and coordinated development of the urban area. The department is also responsible for for coordination of local economic development activities.
- Rezoning Application
- Subdivision Application
- Development control
- Approval of building plan
- Making new plans in an area
- Settlement of land dispute
Social Services & HIV/AIDS Response
AMICAALL stands for Alliance of Mayors and Municipal Leaders on HIV/ AIDS in Africa. Services that are provided by Malkerns Town Board under the AMICAALL department are as follows.
- Community Condom Distribution. One of the key prevention modes in fighting the high HIV incidence and prevalence (stabilizing high levels) is through the distribution of male and female condoms as well as lubricants. Town Board is distributing male and female condoms as well as lubricants to 18 outlets all over Malkerns.
- Workplace wellness programs.
- Organizing and managing sports for sustainable living.
- Support for HIV/AIDS ,communicable and non communicable diseases.
- Developing and managing initiatives for promoting self-help for all people living in Malkerns Town.